Friday, December 4, 2009

Tradition


We all have a tradition...Depends on who we are, where we come from. Tradition might be carried from family, culture, race, religion and many more...


I was reading my niece status on the facebook. Actually my hubby's niece. She's married to mat saleh and they are staying in States. It's a tradition to celebrate the pending birth of a child by presenting gifts to the parents. Usually the baby shower is host by someone else close to the mom... Funny that my niece send the invitation card and hubby were asking her what is baby shower...huh typical man!. Anyway of course it is not popular here,hence explain why hubby is not aware about that.


Contrary to the Malay tradition, baby shower is something against the elderly believes. I remember when I first carry Aariz....at around 7 months we already bought the baby cot and the stroller. And the elderly around me (including my mom cleaning lady) already start singing into my ears on why do I buy all this earlier and da da da da. Then I learn that hey it so against the believe to prepare anything ...not a single thing before the arrival of the baby. The reasons being is if anything should happend (God forbid) the mom will not be stressed out to see the baby stuff without the baby. Okay my mom still stay in village area and they are quite a number of elderly around so yeah...all the pantang to nenek I know ok. Well since then I go slow and hide almost everything :D.


Of course these days we are modern people and we don't really care about all this belief and what so not. With the 40 days confinement (yes 40 days for me) where we are not allow to go out (yes outing is no no as well at all) how on earth are we going to do shopping for the baby. Unlike here in Malaysia, in New Zealand I know for sure the momment you go out from the hospital the baby must be strapped in the car seat. So at least the baby car seat must be available even before we go to the hospital. That goes our pantang tok nenek not to buy anything for the baby...


The other tradition that I note here which happend to my first baby Aariz. I received a lot's of visitor from the village where my mom stays ( I had my confinement here). Our generations might be comfortable to bring gifts, but the elderly will insert some money underneath the pillow of the baby. I keep on observing that and you know what...that is the one tradition that I follow. Rather than giving gifts, I am more comfortable just to insert some money underneath the pillow of the baby.


Nowdays buying gift is a confusing task for me. I do not know what to buy and if they already have what I intended to buy. Especially when it comes to second or third baby....and parents nowdays...they already have cool, imported gadgets for their babies...So err what else can I get for them hehe. Of course unlike baby shower they already have a list of what they want and people will need check if the item is there or someone else has bought the item then only they will buy the next item that is still there to choose.

Anyway back to the status in the facebook by my niece...It's bring dejavu to me during my pre-pregnancy days and of course it's kinda sad not to be around when someone close to you are expecting. It is a wonderful momment you see. So for my niece take care...and I might be sharing some of other pantang tok nenek during the confinement period that you can laught on it or if you might can use it if it's relevance. I used to have a good laugh on certain of the pantang...but hey some of them really works haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment