Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Happiness and you


Happiness....how do you measure happiness. Saw the status of my friend in the Facebook. The other friend of mine status mention something about getting more money to fund education and give some luxury to the kids. My sis in law status always been about Bali...which I think she adore Bali so much :). They are more status in the Facebook, some still looking for happiness, some status seems miserable, some status looking for approval, some status is to show off, some status to share information and so on so forth.

I am more interested on the happiness part. Because most of the status showing unhappy moments. Even tho they are many who are happy as well.

When we define happiness we always thought it relates close to money. I at certain point of time feels the same thing. But if you ask people with loads of money, they might not be as happy as well. They might fake their happiness. They probably buy their happiness.

I think happiness is what you created and what you believe. If you think happiness is far away from you, or you trying to be happy by getting something that is not realistic, they you'll be unhappy for the rest of your life. Example, if you measure your happiness by how many designer handbag you have (self note :D). And you try to get or buy by any means, tak kira la berhutang ke apa ke and keep on collecting. You thought you are happy but, you tangle yourself in unhappy situation that sooner or later will surface...hutang berkepuk2. So happiness must be realistic as well.

Some thought that by sending their kids to overseas to get good education will bring them happiness. They thought world will change with their kids in overseas...So they work day and night, spending little hours with the kids and manage to send them to overseas forgetting all the little values that they should plant to their kids. Turn out the kids never return, or the kids become nobody, or the kids return with no degree. And we left out being old childless and some left with no money as all being spent for their kids...

My hubby has this set on his mind as well thinking that he might not be able to had enough money to send the kids to overseas uni...I told him why bother to strangle yourself when future is not definite. We know we are capable to give them education, and where ever the location are I trust my kids will be good kids. We provide them what we have, love, time, knowledge and passion. Insya Allah they will turn out well. Look back at us, we are just local grad, and we did pretty well. So if we have he capacity, we send them to good college, pay extra. But if we don't have, trust that whichever college or path my kids take, it will be the best with our blessings. That is what I believe for now.

Sometimes people tend to be unhappy with what we don't have. Why not we start to be happy with what we have and be grateful. This again is a self note for myself. I set my dream high, but measure my happiness according to what I have now. Dream is a self booster....that is what I believe.

Realistically we have to live with our surrounding and appreciate all what we have. Some people I know, they love to look and compare other people happiness with theirs. Like..woohoo how rich they are, how fortunate this people and so on so forth. But we forget that we also fortunate in our own way. We have food to eat, plenty of it, we have house to live in, we have kids to make us smile, we still have our parents to look after, we have our health! (very important) ...and we have so many more to live like a normal people. So why the unhappiness ?

I also note that unhappiness relates to our surrounding. Well if we keep on bitching about other people, or we are surrounded with people who keep on whining with their life...and when negative aura is everywhere...happiness will be far from your reach.

I myself still need to remind myself sometime to stay positive and happy. So far things work well for me. I realize that the lesser I whine the happier I am. Sometimes we have to let go certain things so that you can be happy. Sometime we have to forgive and forget to keep our sanity. At the same time, don't expect things will turn out well while not doing anything. Get off your lazy ass and start working on something to get your rewards of happiness.

4 comments:

  1. the idea to put up the status came when i recalled my chat with hubby the nite before. i asked him on the decision to quit from my current job, is for better or worse.. as later, hubby will be the only bread winner. but he asked me back.. how do we measure our happiness.. it made me think of spending time with kids, sending and fetching them to/fm school.. prepare their meals will make me happy, it's happiness then..

    but i guess, for most Malaysian, happiness means: driving a luxury car! coz, i noticed, when ppl are talking about someone.. this Q will be popped out - dia pakai kete ape??? hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe...bila u letak that status tu i was thinking abt loads of other people that i know pun. and i agree ngan you happiness is measured depends on individual happy thermometer. like spending time with the kids. but people in malaysia mmg measure happiness dengan kekayaan yg sgt2 lah salah concept!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i second u tini! :)

    miss cotton couture : ape citer now? sudah hanta love letter ka??

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo eliza, ko pun selalu baca kat sini ehh...
    belum lg.. tunggu ujung bulan, serve 2 mths notice, then i shall say goodbye to them in 2009 and welcome 2010 with colours..... :P (over!)

    ReplyDelete