Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Breastfeeding hunger and the confinement


I never feel constantly hungry like this all the time. That I start to google and see if it's normal for breastfeeding mom to be hungry all the time. Then I stumble into this one blog that is funny and hilarious describing the hunger that she had.

She describe that during pregnancy we tend to crave something specific. Yes we are hungry but we want to eat specific thing. It reminded me when I am about to deliver Aariz my first boy. I want to have Rhumba Frappe from Starbucks but instead hubby brought me Milo Ice from Mc Donald. The results, Aariz has been drooling pretty bad till he was 1 year old !!

But this breastfeeding hunger is even more nuts. Excuse me even this is my third child. This is my first time breastfeeding him exclusively without any help till today. So I am new with this phenomena. The hunger that you would want to eat anything. Anything even dry crackers looks so tempting that you would be able to finish 5-10 pieces at one go. When it comes to my main meal which would definitely be rice...I can eat a lot! A lot means really a lot lot! The only thing that helps me a bit now is that, I am on confinement. So my food selection is a bit restricted. But still doesn't stop me to eat lah!

When it comes to confinement...I have to admire my mom effort to make sure that I follow the confinement rule. At least the basic one. Like I totally enjoy just sitting around doing nothing....which make me crazy when it comes to the 20th day. The food is not he hard part because when I am normal...normal is when I am not pregnant or breastfeeding...is just me. I can survive skipping my breakfast or lunch or dinner. I am fine. So as long the are food that is cook with pepper, I am fine with that. Crackers, cereal, fruits... I am fine with it. But not be able to go out and have to maintain good posture all the time...well that is a bit hard.

The thing about confinement that a lot of people fail to see is to achieve the long term goal. And the cannot be seen goal. Is to make sure that your womb heal properly and back to the original place and size. To make sure that your vein is not fill in with wind. Because long term, if you keep on having a flabby tummy and you feel that something is hogging there down under...that is all because of your womb. And if you start become windy, having varicose vain, back ache and others, is all because you did not take care of yourself. Well that is my mom's, aunt's, neighbor's even maid long lecture about confinement.

But nonetheless, I enjoy some of the treatment during confinement. Feel like a queen. Someone massage you for 7 days in a row then followed by once a week. The lulur is good as I can feel my skin is pretty smooth now. Pilis make my headache go away and one thing that I love the most is bath with hot steam daun2 which please don't ask me what daun is that. I just know two, daun pandan and daun sireh. They are 5 more which I don't know what.

I don't know if I will go through this again. Will I get another child? Because I am not sure if my mom can put up with me one more time. She's getting older. Now she really took care of everything. Making sure that I eat right, I get my sleep, maintain my posture and follow the confinement rule. She ensure that I get help with the baby and also my other kids. One thing for sure I have to learn all this. Because next time when it comes to my sister, high chances I have to take care of her like what my mom did to me. Just hope that for my lil brother, his wife will be taken care by his in laws :)

2 comments:

  1. Sebab tu la I selalu cakap. Dah beranak pun mengidam tak habis hahaha. Memang breastfeed is worse kelaparan dia dari pregnant. I pregnant boleh puasa but breastfeed memang tak tahan. Dengan haus lagi. Rasa makan apa pun tak kenyang2 nonstop nak makan hehehe :p takpe tak gemuk sebab most of what u eat goes to the baby

    ReplyDelete
  2. betul la yan...ni kelaparan yg teramat nih. i hope so tak gemok la kan...cos i gain weight this pregnancy :p thought tak la exceed bmi and still nampak ok (perasaan i la kan)... tapi tak syok tgk scaling machine haha

    ReplyDelete