Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Serious Thought


Let’s get some serious thinking entry after a few shots of berangan and shopping entry for the past few days.

I am actually planning for a mini playgroup to be held at my house sometime in January. Little that I know the project that I am in require a 100% commitment including weekends. So the plan has been postponed.

The playgroup inspired after I am sending my child to a Chinese kindergarten and I am pretty alarm as they mention that during moral they might be touching some part of Christianity. No please do not think otherwise first. It is like when we send our kids to a Malay kindergarten or Islamic kindergarten where we have our doa before meals...and I guess the other non muslim kids have to understand that.

The part if Christianity that she is trying to explain is part of our Muslim practise as well. Example when we want to teach them about why the world is created and we will says God create the world and the reasons or when we want to say about not doing bad thing we says God don’t like us to do bad thing.

But the difference is when we say God and the non muslim says God we need to be clear on what are the message. As I am convinced the message is to instil a good moral and I am pretty much ok. And as a mother I need to play my role as well so that my kids know why is he is a muslim and understand himself on how to become a good person and practice Islam as his way of life. And as much as we want to protect him, I’d rather him to face it and understand why are we different from other people in terms of religions, races, behaviour so that they can fit in the world in a better manner and still become himself. That is where the playgroup idea came along.

The first playgroup will involved parents and I would like to have a story telling sessions performs by one of the parents to tell the kids on the great warriors of Islam, moral base on Islam like why are we fasting during ramadhan, why do we need to perform prayers and so on. Ok not so much one topic is enough for the first session but that is the idea. To get them interested knowing the history of Islam from us the parents.

Next we probably will do some experiments with the kids, science experiments and for the first session I have asked my hubby to do a volcano experiments. I hope the kids will be thrilled to see the lava coming out from the volcano later.

Some other time I would like the kids take turn to talk about their favourites toys or anything so that they can boost their confidence level. We could bake cookies together or do some other amazing stuff. Those are the ideas that I have so far and would probably try to make a several sessions with same crowd or maybe different crowd.

Well I really hope I can materialize this. But even with that we already take some proactive measure by sending him to Iqra’ class and we ourselves tell them some stories from the Quran. A lot more effort required and we are trying our best to educate them.

3 comments:

  1. Celebrate Thomas Edison's Birthday with a visit to his "invention factory" in West Orange NJ.

    MEET ME AT THE CORNER, Virtual Field Trips for Kids (www.meetmeatthecorner.org)
    is a series of free educational video pod casts is directed at kids ages 7-12. Each three-minute episode includes links to fun websites, a list of recommended books and a Learning Corner of questions and extended activities about the topic.

    On February 1, there's a show about Thomas Edison filmed at the new Thomas Edison Museum in West Orange New Jersey. And later in February, there is an episode on how to prepare for your school science fair.

    Please take the time to look at my site and perhaps review it for your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kalau i have babies after this, sure nak join the playgroup...

    ReplyDelete